Couple of NFL Thoughts
I love the Bears and really like the Ravens. Both teams started the season strong. But here are 5 things that hit me about the first weekend of football.
1. The 49ers are for real. They went into Lambeau and beat the Packers by being more physical. Their D was fantastic and Gore and the running game was overpowering. Alex Smith made critical third down plays and they just beat the Packers. Very impressive.
2. The Packers may be in some trouble. The Packers defense was suspect last year and their O-line is average at best. They were both exposed this week. The Packers are playing the Bears at Lambeau on Thursday night. If the Bears win that game, they will be two games down to the Bears (really 2 and 1/2 games down because of the head-to-head loss) after two weeks. Certainly there is still plenty of time to recover but to lose two home games to start the season would be a horrible start.
3. RGIII. They guy is a good player. Deadskin fans should be excited because he went into a tough environment and excelled. I'm not buying the 'Skins, but I like what they have in RGIII.
4. Peyton Manning is really good. He stood tall and delivered against a solid Pittsburgh defense. The Broncos' D is really good also and if Manning can remain healthy, that is a team that can do some real damage in the AFC.
5. The Eagles and Mike Vick are going to have to tread carefully. Vick had a horrible game. The Eagles D was pretty good, but with all of the negativity surrounding the Eagles a couple of losses could really kill that team. Vick needs to play better. The play-calling has to improve - for God's sake get the ball to McCoy. Why is Vick throwing so much? The owner is getting fed up with the weak play and questionable coaching and things could go south really quick.