Monday, January 21, 2013

Inauguration Day

My family and I went down to DC for Inauguration. We stayed off the Mall - there were literally hundreds of thousands of people and I don't like being in that big a crowd. We saw those types of crowds last time and when Stewart/Colbert did their Rally a couple of years ago. Instead, we got bleacher seats on Pennsylvania Avenue on the parade route (at a substantial fee). We got to listen to the speeches and platform party remarks and we got to enjoy what turned out to be a pretty good day.

It is interesting being there for real American history being made. I wasn't really keen on going down - I was fine watching it on TV. But, I have to say that I did enjoy being there live. We were sitting at 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue. The White House is at 1600 Pennsylvania, so we were pretty close to the end of the parade route. Unfortunately, we did not get to see the President walking in front of us. He got out of his limo and walked about 5 blocks before our spot and then about 2 blocks after us. We did see him in his limo with the Secret Service all around, but I would have loved to have seen him walking. Can't have everything I guess.

Security was thorough but easy enough to get through. We only had to wait about 10 minutes in line to get in. I think part of it was the fact that we paid good money to be where we were. The snipers and spotters on top of buildings were everywhere. My kids really found that part of the security system fascinating. There were a couple of high rise hotels that were around our bleacher area, so it looked like they were pretty busy watching for suspicious activity. I'm sure the proximity to so many hotel rooms overlooking the parade route was a big reason the President didn't get out near us.

The thing I will say is that being in DC today, one could really see how much love this President has. It was a great, diverse crowd of Americans having a good time and being witnesses to history.

3 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Blogger j, k, and s's d said...

I'm happy to enjoy from the comforts of my living room but it's nice that you were there and part of history.

I wonder how Jeff George II felt. He was probably upset about something.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Man, you have a problem - what is it with you and Jay Cutler? Are you upset that he did't try to marry you and ended up going with Callavari?

As for Inauguration, I am just glad the weather was as nice as it was. It was supposed to be colder with a chance of rain/snow. But, by the afternoon the sun was shining, there was little wind, and it was in the 40s. Actually, it was quite comfortable for January in DC.

Of course, President Obama is the "chosen one."

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger j, k, and s's d said...

Yes Robs. You have finally figured me out. I AM upset that Jeff George II didn't marry me. I kept praying for God to bring me that arrogant, obnoxious, sour pussed faced, malcontent into my life as my spouse and instead he chose Cavallari. Darn the luck!

President Obama is the "chosen one?" I believe Jeff George II would beg to differ.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home